Friday, September 10, 2004

Back to School

Hello! We have discovered an new and easy way to keep you updated on Mason's progress! Previously with Mason's Web ( www.bluesticker.com/mason ) I had to have Daryl post what I wanted, which was a lot of work for him. This, even I can do!!




Well, Mason has started kindergarten. What an adventure! First I need to back track a bit. Last year when he started pre-school, he sailed right into that room, said bye to me and had the time of his life! He has always entered new territory without a look back. Since starting the ketogenic diet, his seizures have been reduced a lot and that has also increased his alertness, and awareness of his surroundings. He is saying more words, and just plain progressing at a slightly faster speed. That is a fabulous thing!! The other side, is that with being more aware of his surroundings, separation anxiety has kicked in . . . big time. Two weeks before school!!

Anyway, the first few days have been quite rocky for Mason. He screams with everything he's got initially, but does settle down shortly after I leave and has a good time. When I pick him up, he gives me the biggest hugs of his lifetime! His seizures have increased because of all this anxiety, but his nurse has recommended to continue as we are and hopefully the seizures settle down quickly and Mason gets over the separation soon. The teachers involved with Mason at school are great at accommodating his needs. I know he'll do fine in a little while. Me too! Yesterday he cried a total of less than 5 minutes, I was told. My reply:" So, I cried more than he did!" Apparently kindergarten moms are allowed to do that. Especially if it is their last child.

He will be in the all day kindergarten program. The plan is for him to be in the kindergarten classroom in the morning and the resource room (special needs) for lunch and the afternoon. So we will work into that. So far he is there for about two and a half hours.

With this as my first official entry I shall say good night, and look up other stuff I have written about Mason and post it in the near future. Bye!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy said...

Shirley and Co....
Tara just showed me Mason's website. We laughed...cried...shared your joy......enjoyed the photos....We love Mason so much!!!!!
Love Wendy Schweigert and Crew