Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Can Lying Actually Be A Good Thing???

Last week for the first time in his life, Mason lied to me. Blatant flat out LIE! So remember he is 9, but developmentally about 2 or 3.

Here's the story:

As you are aware, we are trying to potty train him. So he went to the bathroom to go pee, sat for a bit then got up. I asked him if he went pee, "No.", was his reply and sat down again. A minute or two later I heard him flush. So I asked him the same question, "Did you pee?". Turning his head, avoiding eye contact he replied, "Yes.". I asked him again, with the same reply. Hmmmm, rookie liars.... I don't allow him to flush unless he's added something to the clear toilet water. Flushing is his reward.

So I took him into his bedroom to get on a diaper. I readjusted my strategy. "Did you flush?". "Flush!", was his excited reply. There was a complete change in body language, so I continued with the same question from a few minutes ago. "Did you pee?". He sadly lowered his head and said, "No."

Caught him!!!! But I could hardly contain my laughter! And at the same time I was excited! Mason lied! Yes, I will have to figure out how to deal with a lying child with very limited comprehension. Yet at the same time, lying indicates progress in his development! Woo Hoo!! Lying requires imagination, so this incident clearly indicated that it's working!

Hopefully he doesn't do it again for a while. I'm not sure what to do with it now, he doesn't respond to the same type of discipline as typical kids. As with everything else with Mason, we'll figure it out as we go!

No comments: