Saturday, February 21, 2009

Prayer Request for Travis

Occasionally I put up a prayer request for someone I know. I have one today for my dear friend,  Suzanne, in Michigan. We met online a number of years ago because of our boys. (there are always good things that happen in the midst of even extreme difficulties!) She has a son with Epilepsy who is a few years older than Mason. She has been an amazing encouragement to me over the years. I always know that she knows what I'm going through when she says thinks like, " Mason reminds me so much of Travis at that age!" That also means that she herself has felt the way I have on many, many occasions. And I understand her current fear. Her faith in God has been a huge inspiration to me. Yes, Suzanne is an amazing mom, friend, and sister in Christ!

Here lies the need for prayer: Travis, who is going through puberty, has been experiencing some frightening break-through seizures. He's been doing better over the last few years, but recently the seizures have been getting out of control again. They, too, have experimented with many medications and treatments. I have read that puberty can cause significant changes to a seizure disorder, and as Suzanne says, there's not much that can be done about puberty. Mason's not there yet, so I haven't looked into it that much. 

Coming up:
- adjusting medications for Travis
- Travis will be going into the hospital for a few days for intensive EEG monitoring. Just like Mason, Travis cannot understand what's going on when they wrap him up and physically subdue him while they glue 25 - 30 'leads' onto his head, then keep him hooked up to a computer for those days, as well as constantly videoing him. ( I"ll inform you when they have a date)

- Other stuff. Some forms of Epilepsy are very unpredictable, especially the more severe kinds. So there may be other medical tests coming up, as well as unpredictable changes in Travis.

- Pray for the doctors. That God will give them amazing wisdom, knowledge and discernment in understanding precisely what is going on, and abilities to treat Travis effectively without harmful side effects. 

- Suzanne and husband and other son. Such changes in seizures, along with the up-coming tests, are very difficult on a mom and the rest of the family. 

from Suzanne: "... nothing stronger than the power of prayer on our behalf.  Mostly I'm praying for the seizures to just get under control - I've been praying much bolder lately and asking for a miracle - what a story to tell.  Thanks for thinking of me and Travis!!"

We are all placed where we are for a purpose beyond ourselves and our own happiness and fulfillment. We are here to come alongside others, just as God has been there for us. (my paraphrase of 2 Corinthians 1) 

Please join me in coming alongside Suzanne and her family.

Thank you, friends.

No comments: