Monday, January 18, 2010

Mason Hospital update

Here's a little update on the up-coming hospital stay.

I received a phone call from our neurologist's nurse today. They have a little girl that lives up north that is doing very poorly, having drop seizures (like Mason used to have) and they would like to get her in as soon as possible for the Intensive monitoring because they want to do the Corpus Callosotomy on her asap. So Mason's appointment may be moved back by two weeks. We're fine with that, if it means that little girl can get in sooner. :)

There is a chance they can book both Mason and that little girl for Monday. I really have no preference, other than I've lined up a bunch of people to come in and visit Mason. But hopefully that could easily be changed. I should know in the next couple of days. I think I slightly lean to keeping the current date.

I asked a few questions about future dates:

The doctors will most likely be conferencing to discuss Mason at the end of February. If they decide he is a good candidate for the resection surgery (remove a portion of his brain where the seizures are originating), it would be about 6 - 8 weeks later. So that would put us in April for brain surgery.

I'm not sure just how I feel about the possibility of brain surgery again, mostly it doesn't feel real at all. Like looking at the calendar and seeing my girls' upcoming dentist appointment. But thinking of the possibility of no seizures, or even less seizures..... I can't get my head wrapped around that.

So I ask for your prayers for the upcoming appointment, whichever date it happens to be. Pray for the little girl that needs to get in urgently. Pray for peace for our family as we contemplate the surgery. It doesn't feel desperate like last time. Will that affect the decision?

Also pray for the start of Imagine...Respite. A new thing for families in the community that have a child with special needs or chronic health issues. there are many families that do not receive government funded respite services (so the parents get a break), so they will be able to drop off their kids (and siblings) for an evening once a month and get a break. The very first one is this Friday. If you know of any families that could use this, email me at imagine@northview.org for more information. :)

1 comment:

Char said...

I will start praying right now. I know only too well those feelings. May peace that is far beyond your comprehension rest upon you as you wait and as you make the decisions that are necessary on Mason's behalf.