Thursday, July 30, 2009

Camp



OK, I'm a little slow on updating about Mason's week at camp. Well, I've been away. I'm home for a couple of days, then off again to the trailer. Anyway..... 

Mason's Week: Mason did really well at camp. I was expecting him to cry when he saw me. That didn't happen. Want to know the story of what he actually did when we arrived? I took Asia, Sydney and Grandma along with me. Sydney was actually glad Grandpa couldn't make it because she wanted Mason's attention. That girl missed her brother, big-time! If Grandpa would have been there, Mason would have ignored all the rest of us. So I walked into his cabin first, noticed some people sitting on the couches to the right, so I looked that way. The girls and Grandma were right behind me when I heard Mason's voice coming from the other direction. I turned toward his voice, held out my arms - ready for a big hug. He yelled out "MAMA" and ran into Grandma's arms! Right past me!!! Didn't even pause to look at me!! Big squishy hug. So you think that he would run straight into my arms after that, right? Not! He ran over to one of his councilors and was telling her "Mama! Mama!". Next he gave Sydney a big hug. Finally I told him to give me a hug. That's when he noticed me. 

I'll get over it...... 

Everyone there was sort of out-of-it-exhausted from a full week with kids, so I didn't get that much information. Paul filled me in on some stuff. Mason got homesick the last two days, asking for Mommy a lot. (not Mama .... he he he). He would not swim in the lake, but he loved throwing rocks in. Loved to feed the horses, but would not ride one. Slept well at night. They had a big food fight at dinner on the last day. Mason did not like that, so he and Paul went and did something else. Mason loved archery and kept asking for more of that. I don't know how he did, though, if he even got close to the target! Paul helped him hand-over-hand with it, though. 

He had a couple of bandages on his knees from falling down. :) I smile because it's nice to see him get owies from regular boy stuff, rather than seizures. :) And he let them put bandages on him! He won't let me!! Even the Sponge Bob ones! 

Mason came home with two bracelets he made. Obviously with a LOT of help. He really likes them and shows them to anyone who asks. 

Mommy and Daddy's Week: I actually did a lot better with the separation than I thought I would. I decided that I would not try to contact the camp until half-way through the week. I thought about him a lot. Daddy, on the other hand, was a little more anxious..... and He kept wanting me to email the camp and see how Mason was doing. Daryl would also start to get a sad look on his face and say, "I wonder how Mason is doing." and "Do you think he's ok?". I set him straight and told him not to talk that way. I didn't want to loose it. We did get an email part way through the week. It was quite generic, Mason was participating in activities and happy. But, as they told me, no news is good news! And that is the news we received all week! :) 
I had big plans to start packing. Didn't pack a single thing. I crashed. Did nothing. Napped. I just had no energy. I started getting some energy on day 4, and a little more on day 5. On day 6, Mason came home. I do feel better now for all that rest... and sleeping through the night for SIX days STRAIGHT! Woo Hoo!!!  

Asia and Sydney's Week: Asia has a summer job babysitting Monday to Friday, all day, for most of the summer. So she didn't really miss Mason. She's just busy and tired. A great experience for her! At the end of the second day, Sydney said that the house was so quiet, and she had nothing to do. I asked her if she missed Mason. Yup she did. Sydney mentioned that she missed Mason nearly every day. She, Mason and I went down the the trailer for the same day that Mason came home. Sydney got two straight days of playing with Mason. happy girl:) 

I have been very impressed with the the staff and volunteers at Zajac Ranch. They are very familiar with parents like me.... nervous first timers! And even better, they are really in tune with the kids. Working at a camp for kids with disabilities and chronic medical conditions would be a lot more intense than a regular camp. 

Mason smiles when we talk about camp. So hopefully he can go again next year!


2 comments:

Flo said...

Woooo hooooo - a great week for all of you. Fantastic and PTL :)

JMV Healthcare Garage said...

sounds great for all. glad you got your rest too! call when you are around....
m