Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 1

It's been 30 hours since I last saw my boy. And the camp hasn't phone us yet! That's good news!  It means he is having a good time and the staff and volunteers are able to handle any issues that arise. 

The drop off went...... well, it eventually went well. Mason slept for part of the ride in. He woke just before we got there. We pulled in to the check-in area, the medical building. We met Paul, a young guy that will be Mason's personal caregiver. He seemed very nice. Kind of a quiet, calming type. We went into the building, checked in his medication, did the head lice check etc. Mason had a bigger seizure during this time, so they could see what they look like, so that was a good thing. It was most likely triggered from waking up. We went out to get his luggage and he went straight into the car and buckled up and said "home". Not what I expected!

So over the next 30 minutes various people tried to talk him into getting out of the car, they took his luggage to his lodge, I drove over to his lodge, people continued talking to him. I went into the lodge and talked to Paul, Mason stayed in the car. One of his counsellors drew his attention to the horses. THAT finally got his attention! He wrenched his body to look, but was stuck in his seatbelt. I told him that he would have to take off the seatbelt to see. He unclicked himself in a flash! He got out of the car for a better look. We were parked just across the driveway from the fence, so Mason, Paul, and I headed over for a closer look. The horse was a distance away, but we walked up to another one, nearer to the fence (about 30 feet away). Mason pulled up some dandelions to feed the horse. It was more interested in the hay. I told Paul more about Mason. 

I realized that my car door was still open, so I told Mason I would be right back, and that he was supposed to stay with Paul. He said, "OK". I chatted for a moment with Paul when Mason suddenly said, "go". So I told him goodbye and he replied with the same. It was apparent that he was comfortable with Paul and the environment. So I gave him some hugs and kisses (which he immediately wiped off with hysterical laughter - our own little game). I headed back to my car with many waves from him. As I drove past the pair on my way out, I waved, Mason waved, and that was it. 

I had a moment where I almost started crying as I drove along the driveway. Quite a range of emotions going on. 

I slept good last night, no anxiety on my part. It's quite different putting a child like Mason than the girls into the hands of strangers. I've never been away from him this long ( six nights - five is the longest), he's never  been with strangers over night, when I have been away, it's been with people I know and I can have contact with them and Mason at any time. 

This is a good thing! Even though it's difficult. It's good for both Mason and us to have this separation. 

5 comments:

Char said...

Awesome! Not sure what else to say. Tears welled as you talked about driving away and all those emotions. I am sure he will have an amazing time. Get some rest, you deserve it!

Ang said...

Good for you! Enjoy!

JMV Healthcare Garage said...

sounds great for Mason and you all. get some rest and then start packing!! :) when is your move date again? we (mostly John) are helping my parents clean and paint their 'new' place this week... but if either of you want to go for coffee....call :)
hugs.m

CRAT said...

I am still waiting to hear how he did when you picked him up!

Flo said...

Is he home? How was it? Praying for all of you throughout this week. Hugs ...