Monday, July 13, 2009

Off to Camp

I am in the middle of typing up an "All About Mason" booklet to go along with Mason to camp tomorrow. I'm on to page 3 already. Hopefully not too much more! 

Yup, Mason is off to Zajac Ranch Camp tomorrow afternoon! He knows that he's going to camp for a sleepover. He just doesn't realize it will be 6 sleepovers! I was somewhat nervous until Daryl, Mason and I took a drive out there on Saturday to meet with the camp director, Andrew. Really nice young guy. He toured us around, introduced us to various staff and volunteers, including the nurses and medical staff. They have a different group each week and Mason is going to Epilepsy week. They have extra medical staff on. I think he said two doctors and two nurses. They have a helicopter on standby in case of emergency. 26 kids and 31 staff and volunteers. Mason will have a one-on-one caregiver the whole time. They all go through extensive training. Just being there has eased my mind and heart a lot. Now I have to worry about Daryl! I told him tonight that he can't rely on me to calm any anxieties he has about Mason being away at camp, an hour away, in a strange place, with strangers looking after him. Andrew said they have very few issues with kids being homesick. They are all trained to deal with that. The parents are the ones that tend to have problems, apparently. The kids have no phone calls or emails or contact with anyone outside the camp. If we hear nothing, that's a good thing!

I think Mason will have a blast! He'll be homesick at times, but I think they'll be able to deal with it. :)

I copied this blurb off the Zajac website. Click on it to see more of what it's about. It's quite an amazing place! 


I'm adding this later.... I'm up to page 4 on my "about Mason" booklet. 

AND, as I know that some of you will comment..... I am still up at 2:30 am. Big thunder storm happening a few miles away, but noisy here anyway. ( I'm counting the seconds between the flash of lightening and the thunder) No point in going to bed if one of the kids wakes up scared...... I'll go to bed when it's done. After all, I will get a BIG chance to catch up on sleep this next week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The camp sounds wonderful - hope Mason likes it too! I'd love to catch up with you sometime.

Carol Kehler

Anonymous said...

Hope you all have a great week... Mason, mom and dad, and sisters!
luv sister Rach

Nicole said...

What a wonderful camp!! I hope Mason has a great time :)

Oh, and I agree that it was a pretty loud thunderstorm last night!!