Monday, June 22, 2009

Home Sweet Home (and the LIST)

Home Sweet Home. I thought I would get an endless hug and cuddle from my little boy when he first saw me. Nawwww. Quick hug for me and his sisters then he wanted to play with 'Itchy' (that's what he calls Sydney). 

I woke up with very sore muscles on Friday. Especially my legs. I could barely get off the couch! My family showed their love to me by laughing when I asked them to help me up! I had trouble walking and even more trouble doing stairs or even stepping up on the curb when we went out for a short slow walk. So I guess I had a bigger workout wrestling Mason than I thought! Advil slightly took the edge off the pain, but thankfully I'm almost back to normal again. (Connie, you're not allowed to comment on that!!)

Sydney and her cousin crashed on the trampoline yesterday. Dani's tooth is a little loose, and Sydney has a cut in her head the same size as Dani's tooth. There was a little bit of blood, and a little bit of panic, but it didn't take long for the five girls to get back to playing board games on the patio! :)

Good thing Sydney reminded me that we wanted to write down the sensory items that we think would bother Mason! I forgot to bring a notebook, so I used a puke bag. A clean one. Not the one Sydney used shortly after take off leaving Abbotsford on Thursday morning!!

So here is 

The List:

~ there is a little metal plate on the floor between the airport floor and the ramp/tunnel to the door of the plane. As people pulled their travel bags across it, it made a metallic sort of noise.
~ A/C. The hissing sound of the air circulation system on the plane. ssssssssssssssssssssssss
~ Engines starting and revving.
~ Cabin lights turning off and on.
~ Driving out toward the runway and picking up speed.
~ Various sound changes in the air system.
~ Driving along and feeling the bumpy road.
~ Plane turning the corner (we're still on the ground)
~ Engines getting louder.
~ Getting ready to go - Really LOUD engines.
~ Picking up speed at a rapid pace.
~ Bumpy road.
~ Lift off.
           (is your anxiety increasing just reading this?)
~ The steep angle of the plane as we rise up to the sky
~ Ears popping
~ Mild turbulence as we climbed through the clouds. The plane was wobbly and lurching.
~ Staying in the seat and keeping the seatbelt on would have been difficult for Mason.
~ Air pockets - we could feel the plane drop at times.
~ Constant vibrating.
~ Most of the flight was quite smooth.
~ Constant loud humming noise.
~ Occasional sideways and up & down movement.

Descent:
~ Slowing down, strong vibrations.
~ Wheels lowering
~ 'Braking', slowing down
~ Flaps on wings adjusting. We could feel, hear and see it happen.
~ Wheels hitting the ground.
~ LOUD engine sounds during the fast slowing down time. 

Yikes! That's a lot of sensory issues!! 

Well, I'm off to bed. Hopefully this post made sense, as I can barely keep my eyes open. I don't know why, though. I slept GREAT at my mom's house. Nice and cold in the basement bedroom, quiet, no little boy waking me up! I slept better than I usually do at home! 

G'night



1 comment:

Flo said...

Oh boy !!!!
What a week and glad that all the details worked themselves out. Quite the trek. Reading this just makes me feel tired .... very tired. Can't imagine how it was for you - lol Hugs ...