Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Plan B

Yup, plan A failed. We are back home. Think of your worst nightmare times 10. Neither Daryl or I thought it could even resemble being this bad. 

It didn't start off that way, though.

Mason had a great time putting the luggage onto the scale and then onto the conveyer belt and watching it disappear! We had something to eat, wandered around a bit then off to check in. He was having a lot of trouble 'waiting' in line. There was a group of young men in front of me and, as I'm trying to keep Mason from taking off on me, I asked them if it was ok if I went ahead. They were ok with it. Asia kept beeping, and even got slightly frisked! Metal buttons and stuff. Mason wouldn't go through, so I did, hoping he would come to me. Finally one of the people working there asked another one if it was ok if I carried him through. So that worked. Mason had no problem with that. 

We walked down  the hall towards our gate. The view through the huge windows was great! Mason LOVES looking at planes! And the people driving around pulling carts of luggage. "work" is what Mason kept saying quite intrigued by it all.

So we were the first to start boarding. Mason did just fine for the first half of the tunnel ramp. Then he started hearing new sounds and was hesitant. I carried him the rest of the way. He really started getting worked up just before we got to the door. I thought he would calm down once we got to our seats. We got the bulkhead seats and he was screaming before we could even sit down. I wrestled (that word is understated) with my screaming boy until everyone had boarded. I lost all track of time, so I don't know how long this went on for. Soon the pilot came and had a chat with me. They would not be able to take off with Mason in such a state. So I decided to get off before I got kicked off. My legs were shaking so much I could barely walk. I think I started crying the moment we got off the plane. I was so focused on trying to calm Mason down I had no time to feel sorry for myself until it was over. We delayed the flight by half an hour as they had to remove our luggage. We also bumped another flight to a different boarding gate. So we caused quite a commotion! I kept apologizing and the young man told me it happens sometimes, not to worry. I feel really bad.

The girls headed back to the waiting room with Mason while I gathered our stuff and picked up all the broken pieces of me. I was very impressed with the West Jet people who were incredibly helpful! Mason, of course was all happy and saying "hi" to people once he was  in the waiting room!

The young man who helped me also rebooked our flights, sans Mason. So the girls and I are heading out from Abbotsford at 6:30 am with one stop in Calgary then arriving in Winnipeg at 12:21 and off to the funeral at 2. 

We are coming back on Monday afternoon, now. A week is a long time to be that far away from Mason. Trena, someone who takes Mason for respite and is a TA at his school, took it upon herself to phone around and arrange availabilities with other respite people, so that relieved me of a lot of work tonight! 

So the prayer list has changed:

Mason will not have problems with  his allergies.
Mason's seizures will remain 'stable'. 
Mason will have fun!
I won't be anxious.

Thank you, all!!!
We won't be trying that again! But now we know.

2 comments:

Murray & Wendy MacKenzie said...

Oh Shirley, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! I will pray for you and for Mason! Take care
Wendy

Marylynne said...

Dear Shirley,
I am feeling so very badly for how things turned out at the airport. I kept thinking and praying, dear friend. I will keep praying for you that you will have peace without Mason with you there. We will talk when you get back.
Marylynne